Sunday, April 20, 2014

Colors of the Wind Sangria

Pin this to Pinterest to spread the YADisney word!

Today (April 20th) is Easter, and I though that a nice, light sangria would be a perfect addition to an Easter brunch!  I've wanted to make a Colors of the Wind themed drink for a while, and figured this would be a perfect opportunity!

To really embrace the Pocahontas theme, I tried to use only fruits that she would have been able to find in colonial Virginia!  Of course, these fruits probably wouldn't all be ripe at the same time of the year (and oranges/peaches might be a little more southern), but it only adds to the theming of the drink!


For the Colors of the Wind Sangria, you will need the following:
  • Dry or semi-dry white wine
  • Green apple
  • Strawberries (or cherries)
  • Blackberries (or blueberries)
  • Orange (or Peach)
  • Triple Sec
  • Brown Sugar
  • Sparkling water (optional)

To start, place the blackberries in the bottom of a pitcher.  I cut some of the blackberries in half to release the juices, but left some intact.  Then pour your white wine in the pitcher just enough to cover this layer of berries.  You'll do this after each addition of fruit, and it helps the layers stay unmixed.


Next, add a layer of sliced apples, then sliced oranges/peaches.  (I wanted to use peaches, but the closest grocery store to my dorm is Whole Foods, and since peaches are out of season, they didn't have any.  Not even in a can!)  Pour in wine to the top of the layer after each addition.


Add the strawberries, sliced, next.  Before pouring the wine over this layer, sprinkle brown sugar over the top so that it barely covers the berries.  Then, pour in your wine.  This allows the berries to naturally mix in with the other layers.  You'll see the granules float throughout the drink.


Pour in as much Triple Sec as you like, as it will add to the citrus flavor of the sangria.  At this point, you could also add vodka if you would like to bring up the alcohol content of the drink.  Cover your pitcher, and put in the fridge.  I left mine in overnight, and I would suggest letting it sit for 8-12 hours so that the fruit has enough time to mix with the wine, and the wine to soak into the fruit.

Mini fridge!
After enough time has passed, take your sangria out of the fridge.  You'll want to mix it up to make sure that the flavors of the fruit, and any other ingredients you added in (brown sugar, triple sec, vodka) have been evenly dispersed.

In the original picture, I had sparkling water as an ingredient.  When I added it, I liked that it made the drink bubbly, but it watered down the flavor too much.  If you want to add some bubbles, I instead suggest topping of your sangria with lemon lime soda or champagne.

Here's what the final product looks like!  I thought that even when the fruit was mixed, it still looked really pretty.  Make sure to include some fruit in each glass.  Eating the wine-soaked fruit is my favorite part of sangria!




And there you have it!  Colors of the Wind Sangria!  Let me know if you tried this recipe and if you liked it in the comments!  My roommates were big fans!

Have a suggestion of what movie or character you'd like to see made into a drink next?  Let me know in the comments!




Until next time! <3



Follow Young Adult Disney on Pinterest: Young Adult Disney
And on Twitter: (@YADisney20)






2 comments:

  1. Looks amazing! Could you make a Little Mermaid cocktail? I'd love to see what you'd do with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! I have a 101 Dalmatians on the horizon, but after that, Little Mermaid it is!

      Delete